Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Week 2 Candide

I really enjoyed this selection. I tend to read slow so the selection did take a long time but it was still very interesting. Dr. Pangloss had a huge effect on Candide as we can see throughout the text as he constantly refers back to his old lectures. He likes to think that everything happens for a reason and there is no effect without a cause. Optimism stays with Candide through all of his journeys. The fact that he experiences many hardships along the way. He deals with several instances of death and disease and natural disasters and lying and stealing. Throughout the story I was very impressed that Candide was able to escape everything and for the most part his friends did too. He thought everyone he knew and loved died when in reality throughout the story they would show and help him to escape or dive into a new plan. I think that gave him stregnth to continue. I found satire in Voltaire's writings when he would make up many German words. He poked fun at the legnth and pronunciations of some words. The descriptions throughout the story helped me to gather a sense of what life was really like for Candide. I was just confused with the ending. It just seemed strange to me that Candide would just quit his journeys and settle to be a gardener. I understand that he had several friends along side him, but it seems sad. Throughout the story he was so optimistic and I would imagine that he would want to continue on adventures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home