Tuesday, February 12, 2008

week 6 poems, Emily Dickinson

Poem 214

At first when I read this poem I found it hard to think I was reading an Emily Dickinson poem. I thought at first she was talking about an experience when she was drunk. Then I read it again thinking that can't be right and realized that she might be referencing those things to talk about how she truly feels about life. She talks about happy things such as the dew and summer days. Though she speaks of alcohol they are hidden under her happy expressions of life.



Poem 303

From the first line "the soul selects her own society" shows that she is showing that she will make a decision about life not others. If it is not something that will please her soul she will turn down no matter who it is against. That is the only way to be happy.



Poem 341

This poem has to do with the loss of some sort. When this loss occurs everything seems to stop. In the second stanza the feet, mechanical, go round to me makes me think that even though we encounter this loss that life does not stop around us. This at times prevents people from stopping when they need to. It is hard to be content with this grieving state. Through time it will begin to get better and you will be able to let go and continue your life.



Poem 435

I am not quite sure about this poem. I gather that she is upset about something. Maybe she feels that she is handled with a chain and limited to the things she can do as a woman. She did not share much of her poetry when she was alive and maybe that is because she did not think they would be appreciated.



Poem 465

This poem again references death. I think she is afraid of what will happen when she dies. She says that everything will be still and what portion of her is left will be signed away. She mentions a light when she see's the fly. I wonder if that in anyway is referencing if she believes that she will go to heaven. At the end of the poem though she says she can't see and I wonder if she believed in heaven or not.



Poem 712

When I read this poem I still thought death but I also was able to see the happy life that was lived by this person (assuming Emily). I am imagining that she is dying and reliving everything in her head that made her feel happy from her town. She references the school and the children at the school. At the end she says that "were toward eternity". Showing that she knows she is going to a great place that will bring her as well many great joys.



Poem 1129

She definately mentions telling the truth a lot. She tells why it should be told. Through telling the truth you are doing the right thing whether you think so or not. If everyone was to lie how could we ever trust anybody.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home