Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Week 6 Song of Myself, Walt Whitman

I had trouble following him for the most part. Section 15 especially he just seemed to talk about so many different subjects that I got lost in most of the poem. He seems to talk a lot about death. It is interesting how he mentions grass so many times. Grass represents new life. It is there it grows it dies, and then it tend to come back again every spring new and fresh. Is that his take on death. That when we die we tend to come back new and fresh again. My favorite section was probably section two. It was very descriptive about what our body takes in in by sight and smell. I like how Whitman concludes the section by saying "You shall listen to all sides and filter them from yourself". You do not have to just agree with one opinion, but listen to everything and make an your best judgement. In section 6 he says " And I know that the spirit of God is the promise of my own". We know what is in our hearts and what we believe and we should be comforted by that. In section 52 it seemed to me that he was speaking of death. How when you depart where you go and where people can go to be with the deceased person. Even though that person is gone they will always be with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home