Friday, February 22, 2008

Week 7 Ulysses Alfred Lord Tennyson

After reading the introduction to the Victorian writings I was able to see that men could live their life the way they wanted and worry about their family when it was appropriate. I did like the outlook that Ulysses had for his life. It was interesting how he said that he "will drink life to the Lees". After reading what a Lee was I figured that he meant to not let one moment of life be wasted, to take every last drop in. That is exactly the way he wanted to finish his journey. He did not want to settle which I probably would after fighting in a war and being away from family. I am sure that he did love his family very much but if just seems that his portrayal is that he has to take in whatever he can whether his family is involved or not. He is understanding to the ways his son will carry on his name after he dies. I live how he says "he works his work, I mine". That just shows that he does not want his son to be exactly like him if that is not who he is. He does try to encourage the others that have been apart in his life. To want to finish a life of adventure that they had when they were young. "To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield" is the last line in the writing. This last line sums up very well the message trying to go across. Life life hard and don't let anything hold you back. I do tend to agree with that for the most part but at the same time would not mind settling after living that life for so many years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home