Friday, February 22, 2008

Week 7 "Goblin Market" by Christina Rossetti

One of the questions asked at the beginning of the story was do I think this was a simple childrens story? My answer to that is no, reading into some of the ways that are appear abnormal to normal children life. The story is about two innocent girls and one Laura's attempt to explore something forbidden. The little details about the relationship of the two are inappropriate to me though. I know they are sisters but they should not be "Lying close" or "kissing"each other in the way that it is referenced. The fruit to me symbolizes sex and the fact that it is proper for the women in this time to wait before marriage for sex. If they don't they will crave it all the time and ruin their own lives while they wait for marriage. In the commentary it helped point out that if a woman was married that the fruit was okay, it just had bad effects on unmarried women. Lizzie is reminded of"Jeanie in her grave, who should have been a bride". I think that the fruit brings pressure to do things you know you should not do or know better. When Laura is asked to leave just a lock of her "golden hair"makes me thing that the Goblins were just wanting to lust after her. I did not like how the story turned when Lizzie decided to buy fruit for her sister to help her out. I felt like that situation turned into her being forcced into something she had a firm stance against. She had to go be tortured for standing up for what she believed. I know that many people would do anything for a family member but that is hard when it is against what you stand for. I guess it is nice to see that by getting the fruit juices her sister was able fufill a life that she was intended to live. To have children and be married.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home